Gooner in exile, away fan and cook

Friday 25 March 2011

BORED

I'm so bored, I really am.

With no Arsenal until next Saturday, I am at a loss what to do. I've tried working, but the boredom has crept insidiously into the small part of my brain labelled 'self motivation', which has left a bathroom that I've been putting off all week unpainted.

It's all Big Dom's fault. Since he left to go and live in Bury St Edmunds (?), it's just me, the van, some tools and tea making equipment. I'm not responsible for anyone else anymore, work wise. It's just me. And I'm bored. What steps have I made to ease the boredom and lack of motivation? I tell you what I've done -

I've bought a fucking ukulele.


So far so good, you know. It's easy to play, easy to transport from gig to gig, and very shiny. It cost thirty quid, constantly goes in and out of tune, but sounds impressive enough to make Simon Amstell Hair smile. And that, my friends, is a good thing.

Back to football. Or the lack of. We are slap bang in the middle of an 'interlull' of fortnight proportions. International football is something that I don't give a toss about, and never will. The last time I cared about it was the infamous 'Battle Of Highbury' on November 14th 1934. I was but a tiny twinkle in my three year old Father's eye, but I remember it well. Ish.



Seven of the England team that day played for The Arsenal, who were, at the time, considered the greatest team in all the world - Moss, Male, Hapgood, Copping, Bowden, Drake and Bastin. With the help of a young Stanley Matthews and a few others, they beat Italy, the world champions, 3-2 at The Arsenal Stadium, Avenell Road, N5.

That's a fucking England team.

I'm club before country, me. If you want to go and cheer on John Terry, Cole, Lennon, Lampard and all those other twats that you slag off week in week out, then fill your boots. Not me. The only thing I'll be doing is praying that our players turning out for a multitude of countries don't get knackered for the rest of the season, because we've got quite enough injuries at the moment, thank you very much.

Saucy Jack will be playing tomorrow, so good luck to him and no-one else.

Aaron Ramsey will captain Wales. Some achievement for a young man whose leg was hanging off just over a year ago at The Britannia Stadium. Congratulations, you deserve every little bit of it.

So until sometime next week when there will be pre match waffle about the Blackburn game, I'm going to learn 'Raindrops keep falling on my head', have a nap, then a curry and a beer or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment