Gooner in exile, away fan and cook

Wednesday 19 January 2011

I hate Leeds

I've always hated Leeds.

Leeds. Dirty Leeds. I hated them when as a child some Leeds supporting git-child told me they had beaten us in the 1968 League cup final, and then in the 1972 FA cup final.

Remember the hard men of 70's football? Peter Storey at The Arsenal? Tommy Smith at Liverpool? 'Chopper' Harris at Chelsea? Leeds had a whole fucking team of them - Johnny Giles, Jack Charlton, Billy Bremner, and of course, the charming Norman Hunter. I hate Leeds. The landlord at my local is a Leeds fan. Every time I go in there he reminds me of the '72 Cup final. I was ONE for Christ's sake. Now leave me alone. Or at least pour me a pint.

In fact, the only thing I've ever 'liked' about Leeds, ever, is that Rocky Rocastle (RIP) played for them. And that still upsets me.

Fucking Leeds.

Right...

I like the FA Cup. I always have. Great Arsenal memories. Charlie George on his back, Alan Sunderland at the far post, Tony Adams stealing in against Tottenham, Andy Linighan in the last minute, the famous 'collapsed lung' final of '98 when I sat in a hospital chair watching it with two dribbling old men and my little mate Mr Chest Drain, Ljungberg and Parlour against Chelsea, Pires in '03, Vieira's penalty, and ooh yes, one of my personal favourites, this -



...it does seem in the spirit of things.

As for '78, '80 etc, I don't know what you're talking about.


So, we go to Elland Road tonight in a replay we didn't want. The team will be changed  (sorry, rotated) from the one that beat West Ham on Saturday. Of course it will. I'm not one to go on about who I think will or won't play, but I tell you this much, if every single player isn't up for it in that snarling white rosed cauldron of hatred from the off, then we will lose. Pure and simple. Beat them, and we have a very winnable tie at home in the next round against Huddersfield next weekend. The players that will play are old enough and experienced enough, so I don't want any excuses -  that includes you Mr Bendtner, just in case you were wondering, and you may want to have a quiet word with that Russian chum of yours as well.


I want us to win The FA Cup (and Carling Cup, for that matter). I really do. Judging by the performance of some of the players in the first game, it seems to me they don't really understand the history of the competition  (see above), what it means to The Arsenal as a club, and more than that, what it means to us as fans. Does the blame for that lackadaisical performance rest solely with the players or with the manager as well? Surely Pat Rice could teach them a thing or two about what it feels like to walk out on the Wembley turf in the merry month of May.


No hiding place, tonight. See you there. Up The Arsenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment