Gooner in exile, away fan and cook

Tuesday 25 January 2011

Ipswich. Payback.

Remember this?
Sorry about that.

I was seven at the time. I recall sitting with my Grandad in a haze of Golden Virginia smoke (his, not mine), the sweet smell of Whisky (also his), and sobbing.

How the fuck did that happen?

When Bobby Robson died not too long ago, I, like most football fans was sorry to see him go - he seemed like a nice chap, a bit of a banana, but nevertheless. But wait - hang on, wasn't he the manager of Ipswich at the time? Yes, yes, he was. And suddenly all my affection for him, and the sadness at his loss, quite simply evaporated. Sorry, Bobby, but for all the wonderful things in football you did, there's a little bit of me that hates you, for the one horrible thing you did to me and my Grandad.

So you see, tonight's game, for me at least, is personal. Maybe I should get over it, but I can't and I won't, not until we put this one to bed. And here's our chance.

The first leg at Portman Road was awful. We were utter shit, we all know that, and tonight we can put that right and forget about it. No one will remember the first leg debacle if Cesc is leading out the team onto the Wembley turf come the 27th of February, will they? As ever, there'll be a few changes to the team that beat Wigan. If it were me, I'd play the same team as Saturday, with the exception of bringing Gibbs in for Clichy, because I don't think it would make the team necessarily any weaker, whereas Arshavin (on current form) and Denilson would. Andrei's an enigmatic little git, short on confidence and one that sorely needs a goal. So if he plays, I'll be more than happy if one bounces off his arse into the net (theirs). If he smacks in a screamer from twenty five yards, even better. This is a player who has undoubted quality, is just suffering a dip in form, and if he can get that back he will surely be a vital asset in our fight for silverware this season.

A few weeks back, when we heard the team news on the way to Wigan (away) I was perplexed at the amount of changes Arsene made, although not entirely surprised - but I'd rather have the game won first and make some substitutions later than the other way round. And I don't think I'm the only one. Play our strongest team and get the job done.

The atmosphere at The Emirates has been in question, least not by myself. Tonight is a night to make some noise. There is a Wembley Cup Final at stake here. We have to overcome a one nil first leg deficit. Noise, please Gooners, and lots of it.

'As soon as we score the first goal it will be downhill for them' - so says Alphabetical Szczesny. I agree, but we need the crowd behind us all the way, from start to finish. Just one thing - please, please, please can we have no ole-ing? Do it if we're four up with five minutes to go, fine, but not if we're two up with twenty to go. Got it?


The Carling Cup is a competition that in the past we haven't taken too seriously, as a club, and as fans. However, a trophy in the bag by the end of February can only improve confidence and belief in the players -  the flip side of this, however, is if we were to go out tonight, just how damaging could that be?


I shall leave you with this picture, because frankly, it's a little odd, but it makes me smile.


 Come on you Reds. What did she wear?

1 comment:

  1. OH YES! From the still-image I knew it was the 78' final with Roger Osborne scoring the winner.

    I was a nipper too, just moved house that morning and one of my dad's local mates introduced me to his Gooner son, "Skev"... who became best mates for a decade.

    Since he was Arsenal, I decided to support Ipswich for the day, and the win that day sealed the deal for a decade until I moved to Manchester in 89 and decided to subject myself to 4 years of torment at the hands of the Arsenal and Scousers ... until 92-93 of course then the rest is history!!

    God bless Bobby. You can't deny him his legendary status... He introduced Johnny Foreigner to top flight football (good or bad but you and me wouldn't have had Cantona, Schmeichel AND Bergkamp, Henry, Fabregas), and has the best England record since 68'.

    So, back to your point BuxtonGooner - "How the fuck did that happen? " .... Roger Osborne thought the same thing... he was so surprised after he scored the winner he passed-out on the pitch, was sub'd and suffered psychological breakdown, left football and now works in a local sports centre, now known as the Rushmere Sports Centre !!

    G

    ReplyDelete